Sunday, October 12, 2008

Obama, baby!

I canvassed for Obama and other Democrat candidates yesterday and Lucy was so thrilled for me. In fact, she started jumping up and down (of course) and getting terribly excited about the fact that I was going to work for and hence, see, Barack Obama! She was all in a tizzy about the idea of seeing who she says is "the person I want to be the next president. Not Hillary. Not George Bush. Not, what's his name, Momma?" I reply, "John McCain." "Not John McCain. We want Obama!!!!!" Well, at least we are on the same page. She was a bit deflated that he was, in fact, not going to be where I was.
She is certainly Obama-ized. Today she was having a snack and out of nowhere she asked, "Where does Barack Obama like to sit?" I had no idea what she was talking about and then I remembered that she had seen an Obama ad this week that features him sitting in a chair talking to the camera. She just wanted to know where he was, and what he was sitting in, all while she chomped on some goldfish crackers.
She is also terribly excited about the idea of voting. I believe I may have spoken a bit prematurely about taking Lucy with me to the polls. It would be much easier if I went with Harper, while Harper snoozed, and Lucy was at school. The lines will be crazy and there really isn't much exciting about standing in line for a 3 year old. On the other hand, why wouldn't I want to feed her enthusiasm for voting, for voting for Obama and getting excited like the rest of us? It's a historic election, and she just wants to be part of it.

No comments: