Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I went all over the world and all I got was this...

Souvenir t-shirt. Lucy loves one. While it is totally expected that at this age she should be voicing an opinion on what she is going to wear on any given day, it was also expected that she would want to wear frilly, girly dresses and skirts. Things with sparkles. Things with more pink than anyone should wear in a single outfit. What is not expected is her absolute love for souvenir tshirts. It doesn't matter what it has on it, where it came from or who gave it to her. Her request everyday is "I want to wear a shirt". That means no dresses- a shirt must be part of the outfit. And those shirts, more often than not, say Topsail Island, Chincoteague Island, Italy, or Sapalo Island. Several of these don't even fit her very well, they are too small or too big, stretched out, covered in paint spills, or, because a couple came from the $3.99 bin at the local beach store, just worn out and ragged even after just a wear or two.
Her drawers overflow with adorable tops and dresses that I beg and insist that she wear every couple of days. But I have decided that most of the time it just isn't worth the fight. I am thinking about having a stamp made that says, "Somebody who loves me went to the trouble of buying me this souvenir garment" and stamping the inside of all her clothes just so I can say, "See, Grandma went to The Trouble to buy you this souvenir dress. Wasn't that nice of her?"


No comments: