Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lucy's first soccer camp






Lucy started soccer camp this week. Or, I should say, Lucy, Harper and myself started soccer camp this week. Nobody mentioned that it involved parental involvement. The first day entailed me, 6 months pregnant, holding Harper and practicing my passes and traps with Lucy. Not exactly what I pictured. Thank goodness that Lucy has decided that she wants to do camp all on her own and I have been sidelined. She will even go to the far side of the field away from us so that she can have the one of the coaches as her partner. Fine by me! In all actuality, the parents are more optional in most of the lessons but some just can't stand to sit it out. I think I have my hands full enough since Harper likes to spend the hour each day picking up all the cones the coaches have put out, eating, and chasing kids in the middle of their drills. She also likes to line up with the kids or just hang on to Lucy while she is getting instructions. I think she thinks she is part of the action as well. She hasn't noticed that not everybody runs around with a naked baby doll or a cracker in their hand.

So far, so good. Lucy is wiped out a the end of each camp day. She has learned passes, traps, dribbling and other skills I can't even name. She loves her coaches and finds them very funny and they liven up the camp by playing games about dragons and pirates, having wacky hair day, and having all the kids decorate their soccer balls. They are British and many times the kids have no idea what they are saying or talking about, but I think that makes Lucy like them even more. Her favorite game so far is "Blast off" where they place their soccer ball on a short cone and take 5 big steps back from it, then countdown and the whole group runs forward at blast off to kick their ball down the field.

I'll post photos of the rest of the week later, but here it is so far.


No comments: