Monday, November 24, 2008

Make that one more for dinner

Lucy was given the movie "Mary Poppins" for her birthday. I had no idea when I suggested the movie that it was 2 1/2 hours long so we hadn't watched it until today, when I allowed Lucy to skip nap and tune to the tube instead. Did she like it? That might be an understatement. She sang the songs throughout the night (or her versions, maybe even better!), she talked about "getting the giggles", "flying with umbrellas" and the "spooky fireplace guys". She loved the carousel, the penguins and the bird lady. But the proof that she truly LOVED the movie? She asked if Mary Poppins could join us for Thanksgiving dinner. When I began explaining that Mary Poppins wasn't a real person, her face began to dim... so I lied. I told her that Mary Poppins lives in England and they don't celebrate Thanksgiving there so she wouldn't be able to make it for the big feast. When she confirmed that Poppins was indeed real, I said "Of course!" and she said, "well, then she'll have to come over some other time. To babysit. That's a plan, isn't it Momma?" If only we could find a Mary Poppins to watch the girls, Ian and I would get a lot more dates in, that would definitely be a good plan.

No comments: