Monday, September 15, 2008

Heard on Tenth St....

"Oh Man! Oh Man! Oh Man!" Lucy was exclaiming this Saturday evening after she realized that our friend had sent her $5 for her birthday. You could actually see the excitement in her eyes. Don't you just miss the days when $5 seemed to have as much possibility as all the money in the world? She hasn't even begun dreaming up what she will spend her fortune on. She was so happy just to have something to put into her piggy bank.
"Santa will fix it". This is Lucy's answer to anything that is broken. Broken measuring tape (after playing with it for less than 2 minutes on your birthday)- Santa will fix it. Popped balloon? Santa will fix it. Stained shirt? Just leave it on the dining room table and Santa will come by later to get it "so he can leave another one for you". At least she isn't always looking for an immediate fix, let's just hope that she isn't keeping a mental list of all the things Santa is to replace, fix, mend, etc- I'm not sure he can deliver all of that plus her always expansive list come December.
"Oh Susannah!"- I was getting out of the shower this morning and heard Lucy belting this song out. When I came to see what she was doing, she was caught hopping on one foot, patting her knee and singing into her tball stand. My favorite was the line "With a tear in her eye. She's going to Suzianna, oh Suzannah don't you cry." The voice was cracking, it was all being shouted and I guess you could say she was a "little pitchy".
"Momma, is it still my birthday?" When I replied that no, her birthday was indeed over, after nearly 3 weeks of celebrating and about 3 months of talking about it nonstop Lucy replied," When will I be 2 again?" I told her never, that she would be 3 for a year and then she would get to turn 4. It seemed to make her a little sad and then she added, "well, I guess I can't turn little for you anymore. I'm a big girl now."

No comments: