Thursday, January 28, 2010

A wail of a weekend

I have had enough. After babying Graham for weeks now (I don't just say that because he is a baby- he has been begging for attention at all hours of the day) I have had enough. It culminated today when, after getting up with him 3 times last night for 45 minutes each, he would not nap or let me put him down today. He was even begging for nonstop attention from Lucy. I put him down for playtime and he cried instantly so Lucy went over to entertain him. He stopped crying. Then she had the nerve to turn her head away from him and cease eye contact and so he cried. And he cried and he cried.
On the way home from school today he cried for a solid 20 minutes and I didn't flinch so I thought that since I can handle driving with three kids in the car and listen to Graham scream his lungs out I could handle him crying it out to go to sleep.
6:30- last feeding
6:45- bath and a little quiet playtime
7- Pjs on girls, set them up with a short movie, head into Graham's room to begin the nighttime routine. We rock, we sing, we cuddle. He goes into bed awake at 7:30 on the dot. He cries before he hits the bed, as is his usual routine. I leave him to cry for 5 minutes and return to pat him for a minute and leave the room again.
7:45- return to pat him and tell him that he will survive.
8:05- I go in, he is clearly upset and in pain. I pick him up, instant burp, pats, kiss, back to bed. more crying. Now, I should not return to his room at this point until 8:45.
I read to the girls, say bedtime prayers, sing songs and put them into bed. Then I realize, it is 8:15 and there is no more crying. I wait until 8:30 to go in and check on him and he is sleeping, like a little angel.
It is the first time since New Year's eve that Graham has gone to bed in his bed and stayed asleep for the first hour. No paci. No waking every 15 minutes. It may still prove to be a long night and a long weekend of crying himself to sleep, but hopefully a few nights and we will be over the hump for the time being. Until he teeths and we start all over again.

No comments: