Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Reg

Well, it has been quite a week with the Reg. He went to the vet on Tuesday and they wanted him to be seen with an ultrasound. His face just wasn't healing so we made the appointment for the next day.
Wed- Drop Lucy off at school, run a few errands with Harper and Reggie. Head to Fairfax for Reggie's ultrasound appointment. We get lost. It starts hailing and raining. Reggie is crying- LOUDLY and Harper is crying as well. We arrive, 30 minutes late.
Filling out forms, holding onto crazy dog, watching Harper as she wheels a truck around the room. Hoping that the floor she is all over is semi-clean in the vet's office.
Reggie goes on back. We join him minutes later where he is tied down, on his back on a table. Not a pretty sight. He is not happy and it is a bit unsettling seeing him so compromised.
Harper begins squirming. There is no chair. The radiologist begins trying to explain to me what she is seeing. I am looking for some small pin, toy, staple, anything in his ultrasound to give explanation. Harper begins throwing her snack all over the floor.
The vet takes me over to the xrays and begins explaining all sorts of things I can't concentrate on because Harper has had it, Reggie is crying and I am keeping an eye on the clock since I have to pick Lucy up in and hour and it takes at least 30 minutes to get there.
We finally check out. I take Reggie to the car. I have to pick him up to put him in- belly or no belly, I couldn't leave the dog in the parking lot. Harper and I go in and pay. We return to the car where I realize all that the radiologist has just told me. It looks like Reggie may have cancer in his cheek that is eating away at his jawbone. I remember things like "we may have to remove his jaw bone", "oncologist", "more tests", etc. I call Ian in a panic and tell him what I have heard and ask him to call the vets and see if he can make heads or tails of it. He does.
Reggie returns on Friday to his normal vet, he has another surgery where they take samples from his jaw bone and the tissues surrounding it. We will know in a week what his status is and what all of our options are. He spent a couple of nights at the vet. Strange without him here. Now he is home, wearing a hard collar and running into everything. His face looks mangled and he has another drain in. His leg is still lame. Bugs and heat and blood don't mix, especially when you are a dog who can't scratch them away. But now he sleeps and is on his pain meds. Hopefully we will have a quiet week without surgery, injury or pain.

No comments: