Saturday, December 20, 2008

Our Special Angel


I mentioned in a blog a couple days ago that we had to go to Louisville unexpectedly last week. Since then I have been contacted by several people hoping that all is well, etc.
We had to go to Louisville to attend my Mama's funeral. She was 81 years old and was the spunkiest lady I've ever known. I will miss her and while I could talk about what a nice funeral and rememberance it was I would rather talk about a list I made for her when she turned 80 titled "The top 80 things I love about my Mama." Here are a few of my favorites:
-She would always say something like "Hot Dog!" when somebody told her about something exciting or new
-She claimed herself to be a blonde, no matter how yellow, pink, white or gold her hairdresser dyed her hair
-She always smelled of Oil of Olay
-She had a blue Rick Pitino Christmas tree (back when we liked Rick Pitino)
-She used to make us pot roast with mashed potatoes and fruit salad on the side (with extra cherries) on Wed nights for us when we were growing up
-She would always send $5 on Valentine's day, "for a treat" or in my case "for french fries"
-On Christmas she walked around with a basket full of candy bars wrapped in $5 bills for all the grandchildren, and later their spouses, too
-She woke at the crack of dawn to say the rosary with the radio program- yes, such a radio program does exist
-We got our drivers licenses at the same time
To explain to Lucy what was going on we told her that Mama had to go to heaven to be our special angel. She still asks if we can send her cards and pictures "to heaven" she says. I tell her that we can make whatever she likes and that Mama can see them from wherever she is. Lucy pictures an angel with wings and halo. I just like to remember her in something pink, hair perfectly round, skinny legs and a happy-to-see-you-smile.

No comments: