Monday, April 7, 2008

Lu of many questions

We all know that Lucy is a great talker. She can narrate, tell stories, pretend, explain, understand, etc better than many other 2.5 year olds. So why is it so hard for me to converse with her these days? Several reasons:
What?- Lucy has turned into a senile, deaf senior citizen when it comes to talking with me. She says "What?!!" about a zillion times a day, even if she hears me perfectly clearly. I am so tired of repeating myself that now I either ignore her or ask her to repeat it back to me. She will repeat it back to me and then say, "is that what you said? Good Momma, that was great." or something else to that effect.
Why?- Well, it has arrived, the days of "Why?" In the car today I was asked "why is that puddle there?", "why are they tearing down that building?", "Why is it raining?" "why does Daddy have to work?" , etc, etc. etc. It is never ending.
Silly words- Finally, we go round and around in some conversations because I truly can't understand her. I get so frustrated and ask her to repeat herself a million times. She asks me things like, "Will you sing lkjlfkdjs;fksdh;oiuoiuotn?" I say what and she repeats just that. It finally donned on me to ask her the other day if she was using real words. She said, "No, just silly words. Do you know what I said?" Then she translated and laughed at me. Now I know when I can't understand her to ask if she is saying silly words or real words. Doesn't really help though when I really can't understand her.

No comments: