Saturday, January 17, 2009

Another Chapter


Lucy and I started reading chapter books together last week. Our first book was "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane". It was a suggestion from our local children's bookstore and was a sweet book, although had I known more about it, I would have guessed it was too mature for Lucy. She didn't seem to mind not understanding all the vocabulary or situations and quickly caught on to the idea of a story continuing for days and days. She would remember details that I had forgotten from the day or days before and was far more engaged that I thought she could be at this age. She began incorporating names and storylines into her pretend play as well and now I hear all about "turtles that are stuck on the bottom of the ocean" or "mean boys who don't know how to play nice" whenever she is pretend playing. Up next is the story of Ralph S. Mouse. It is a favorite of mine from childhood and so I am as excited to start it as she is. A new chapter for both of us, I guess you could say.

No comments: