Sunday, October 10, 2010

The best 25 cents I ever spent

 I have been on a yard sale/ flea market/ auction site kick lately.  And Lucy has been all too happy to tag along at times.  Yesterday we were headed into Old Town when she spotted a yard sale and urged me to stop.  We did and after several reminders that we were not going to be buying any toys, I saw a little superman sticking his head out of a box.  I quietly asked the owner how much and he replied that it was 25 cents.  I took the superhero and handed it to Lucy, who was thrilled.  She paid for the man in tights and we got back into the car.  For the next 2 hours Superman was on the adventure of a lifetime.  While I completed my errands, Lucy told me (for 2 non-stop straight hours, mind you) what Superman was up to, how he was going to fight The Incredible Hulk, how Wolverine was his father, who he liked to fight and so on and so on.  Keep in mind that Lucy has no real knowledge of any of the superhero stories, their powers, etc, she just likes the idea of superheroes.
Just as we were heading home she suddenly stopped, handed me Superman and asked that he take a break in my purse.  She was finished with his adventure for now.  She then rode home very quietly in the car.  Being a superhero might be tiring, but telling his tale is purely exhausting.

No comments: