Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Girls Weekend

The girls and I spent a lot of time together this weekend having special outtings.  On Friday, the girls' bffs, Ronin and X invited them to join them for an outdoor showing of Wizard of Oz at the neighborhood pool.  Needless to say, Harper's favorite movie, free popcorn, glow sticks, lemonade and cookies and best buds, the night was a late one, but a huge hit.  They talked nonstop on the way home about how much fun they had.
The next night, it was a true girls night out.  We started getting ready around 5pm.  Getting ready included the selection of princess dresses, tutus, jewelry, the "right" sticker earrings, purses, objects to fill purses and lots of glitter for face, nails, eyes and hair.  Harper went through 3 outfits before settling on the fourth, a "princess ballerina" ensemble that she felt was appropriate for the occasion, complete with purse, plastic high heels and leg warmers.
Lucy said, quite solemnly, "Mom, I think I need to wear a dress tonight", a concept that would normally go against all her principles.  She ended up choosing a fetching pink princess gown, blue star wand, a pink wooden box purse and navy blue sunglasses.
For my part, I decided to dive right in with them.  They chose a tiara, jewelry and a purse for me.  I decided that a dress-up dress might be too hot considering it was very likely that I would end up wearing half of their accessories before the night was over so I wore as much pink as I could muster to make up for the lack of princess dress or tutu. 
Once dressed and covered in much cherry lip gloss, glitter and vaseline-based make-up, we headed to a local church production of "Cinderella" where we ran into many other little girls dressed in their costume-finest and little boys who (for some reason) were all dressed like magicians.  One said magician did performa  trick for me, which included punching me in the nose- quite the trick I might say!
At one point during the show, the performers called all the little girls who were dressed-up onto stage.  Harper would not budge and so we sat back while Lucy stormed the stage, with purse and wand in hand to show off her gorgeousness and to "curtsy like a princess".  She was quite pleased with herself, to say the least.
After a show that never seemed to end, and, as predicted, my being handed one accessory after another to keep tabs of, the girls were thrilled to get in the car and tell me all their favorite parts. Harper's favorite part was when one of the stepsisters feet werer stinky when she tried on the glass slipper (I know this was her favorite part because she said, "that was my favorite part" and retold the story 10 times in the 5 minute car ride home).  Lucy's favorite part was the stepsisters endless fighting.  She said, "I loved when the stepsisters were fighting all the time and their mom would come in and yell at them." I thought it all sounded quite familiar and Lucy said, "No, it's not the same at our house, you aren't old like the stepmother."
One night in Oz and the other a pinkalicious play, it was a very fun girls weekend.

By the way, if you are wondering what the boys did while we were out, I was told their was wrestling, and lots of milk-slinging on Graham's part, and then off to bed.  Oh, and Redskins. 



No comments: