Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Animals Gone Wild

I'm not sure what is going on here. I have kids who act like animals and animals that act like kamikazes. Harper is still acting like a dog whenever she is in a new situation. Graham is now hooting like a chimp on the playground and Lucy is just wild. That's nothing.
The past few days have included some strange animal encounters in our neck of the woods. First, a couple nights ago Ian and I were sitting in the living room after the kids had gone to bed and we heard a splash. This isn't so abnormal since we often hear Charlie, Lucy's fish, splash in his bowl. But this was a substantial splash. Ian got up to take a look. Sure enough, Charlie had jumped out of his fish bowl and onto the table. Good thing we were awake or it would have been a plunge to ol' Charlie's death.
Today while Harper, Graham and I were eating lunch in the kitchen we were watching the birds swoop all over the yard and we watched as a woodpecker ate his lunch from a hole in the top of one of the trees. Then SMACK! A sweet little finch flew right into the very window we were looking out of. Bad news for the bird. I ended up having to bury him in the backyard. Harper was mildly tramautized and said the bird needed a nap. Good night finch.
To top off our animal stories for the week: Our storm doors on both the front and back doors often don't latch all the way. Today I heard our front door open a bit and I went to the top of the stairs to see who was opening it, assuming it was a delivery. No. It was a squirrel. That's right, a squirrel opened our front door. His back was to me, but I stomped my foot and he darted, door slamming (and latching) behind him. What is going on?
Harper thought it was great. I did not. Wild thing.

No comments: